The Old Tishomingo County Courthouse is a striking example of Romanesque Architecture with Second Empire style influences. This courthouse is the reason why Iuka is known widely as the “Marriage Capital” with over 44,000 marriage licenses issued in the years when Mississippi had no three-day waiting period for licenses. The courtroom on the second floor is much the same as it was when John M. Stone, a resident of Iuka and Mississippi’s longest serving Governor, supervised its construction and when the county’s first legal hanging happened here years ago.
The Museum is a classical museum with displays of artifacts with three primary themes: 1) Native American (Chickasaw) Indians; 2) Civil War; and 3) County-wide Cultural Heritage.
The courthouse was built in 1870 and is on the National Register of Historic Places; it is a Mississippi Historical Landmark. Strategically situated in Iuka only a few miles from the AL and TN borders on Hwy 72 between Huntsville and Memphis and minutes away from the Tennessee River and Natchez Trace, it is poised to be a tourist gateway and welcome center into Northeast MS.
The John Marshall Stone Research Library archives thousands of genealogical records used for research by residents of the county and state and visitors nationwide.
The Old Courthouse Museum is operated by the Tishomingo County Historical & Genealogical Society.
Plan to visit us today and …